So, for some reason I’ve been listening to the radio quite a lot (well, while driving and showering), specifically “BOSTON’S #1 FOR BLAZIN’ HIP HOP JAM’N 945” and I must say, there are some ahem dope tunes blasting through the radio waves at the moment. Well, dope enough for me to disturbingly sing along while driving through the gangsteezy streets of Cambridge, MA. I must say, though, on an average day of driving I must hear each of these songs about 4 to 5 times…AN HOUR. So I’ll probably hate most of them in a week.
1. Hold Yuh—Gyptian This is actually, to be completely honest, an utterly dope tune. I really love it. It puts me in a good mood and its intense and the beginning of it with the piano is really stupendous.
2. Check it Out- Will.i.am or however the hell you spell his name and Nicki Minaj I really like this song mostly because it samples “Video Killed The Radio Star”, not to mention the opening line “stepped up in the party like my name was my bitch” is more than QUITE lyrical.
3. Bottoms Up-Trey Songz feat. Nicki Minaj Hey whaddya know, Ms. Minaj seems to be a fixture in this list. But I support this. Anyway, literally everytime I hear the “Bottoms Up” chorus of this song I immediately start jiggling my shoulders in this really embarrassing and odd way but let’s be honest how can you listen to it and NOT do that?!
4. Whip My Hair—Willow Smith So I don’t actually particularly love this song although the beat is also pretty infectious. But I LOVE the fact that a ten year old’s song is being played on the radio.
5. Like a G6—Far East Movement This one drives my shoulders (and my gangsteez side) nuts. I enjoy chanting “like a G6” over and over again. Mostly in private but often in public. In a somewhat breathy voice. Like a geeeeeeeee sixxxxxx like a geeeeeee six.”when we drink we do it right gettin slizzered”. I guess this is a song for…Vegas.
6. Right Above It—Lil Wayne feat. Drake There’s something about Lil Wayne’s voice-the squeakiness laced with sizzurp- that I really enjoy. And this song is a great one, new and fun and with a good bass line. Thanks Jam’n.
7. Letting Go (Dutty Love)—Sean Kingston feat. GUESS WHO: NICKI MINAJ! There’s our large posterior-ed friend seeping through the radio waves once again. Anyway I really like this song a lot DUTTY DUTTY DUTTY LOVE LOVE FEELIN LIKE IM READDYYY or something like that…Anyway, what a delight!
8. What’s My Name—Rihanna Okay so I don’t actually really like this song that much, but there’s one part of it, which may in musical terms be called “the bridge”, although I’m not sure if that’s what it is. Anyway, it’s the part where RIRI goes “You’re so amazing/you took the time to figure me out/That’s why you take me/Way past the point of turning me on”. Clearly these lyrics have a Shakespearean quality to them, but I more just like the tune!
9. Deuces-Chris Brown feat. Tyga and Kevin McCall I gotta say, this song is really dedicated to my co-blogger, as Lauren truly loves this song. But so do I, it’s fun and hey it has no deeper meaning OR DOES IT.
10. No One—Alicia Keys So this isn’t a recent song, but it was on the radio today and I absolutely love it. This is actually a beautiful song. My friend Ali once said that Alicia Keys soothes her soul. I feel that way about rich food and bad television, but I guess I get what she’s saying..